World Masters Athletics Championships 2018 : 8km Cross Country M55 2nd 27:08

Super tough course set for the World Masters Athletics Championships 2018 in Malaga, Spain. Weather hot and windy. Starts were delayed due to ambulance responses from heat stress and accidents involving boulders, sharp drops and loose rocks on course (resembling a downhill MTB cousrse...maybe it was!)

Course was technical with frequent changes in elevation, twists and turns, obstacles on course. Australian Jim Langford was knocked out cold after a stumble in a rocky section. There were several rolled ankles and grazes.

Despite all the physical challenges the pace of all races were quick with time gaps close. It's easily the most competitive World Masters XC I've been to. There were several Kenyans in the field, male and female to spice things up.

My race: After the first 200m I ran an assertive race from the front leading all M55, behind a few M50, taking all risks in the rocky terrain as all the leaders were. I was never out of top ten entire race. I had no idea what was going on behind. I was always on the limit. If I had known what was going on behind I may have been worried. Luckily I was in my zone.

On the final lap I was closing in on two M50 in front catching both of them including Anders Dahl (2nd Lyon,3rd Perth in M50). With two climbs remaining a challenger came from behind, Polish Marek M55. We were close all the way to the finish, Marek finished best winning by 6 seconds. There's nothing I could have done better. Happy with 2nd M55, 6th overall M50-59. Photo credit: Graeme Dahl.

Paul Yego (Kenya, 1st 10000m Perth) was misdirected at the final turn and asked to complete another lap. He went from 1st to 4th in M50).

I have 3 days to recover before a 10km road race.

BTW winner M50 XC was drug tested post race. I was drug tested in January. This is a good thing.



Comments

David said…
Congrats Bruce, sounded like a really tough day, good luck for the other events (I think you should do the Half for a better medal chance).
Thanx David. I'll probably left with nothing to do on final day so may yet run half. For now my body is shattered.
Ewen said…
Well done Bruce, great result. Sounds like the course was brutal - much tougher than the BBQ Stakes! Wouldn't like to be an M80 on that surface.
Ta Ewen, feet are the only sore bits today from stone bruising. BBQ Stakes was perfect training, especially trying to catch Jimmy on first Wednesday of the month. Just needs a few blind two metre drops on the descents.
Jennie K said…
Congratulations Bruce! I enjoyed your commentary and pics - some pretty fit looking runners there. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. Looking forward to next post.
Ta Jen, anyone who got around that course safely is a legend

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024