Canberra Times Fun Run

Not the perfect spring day, although such a nice one with all the friends out running and post race up at a cafe in the sun sheltered from the gnarly nor-westerly wind. Coffees, chats, happy people...what else is a life?

The course 10km: flat 3km into a block headwind, undulating next 5km with both tail and headwind, last 2km mostly block headwind again, especially by the lake...5km: mostly into the wind, mostly flat.

Results: 5km: gt 5th time? ; heidze 22mins?
10km: george clooney 24 (stopped at 5km new pb) ; sb 33:25 ; kt 41 ; helen 43 ; sk 44 ; charlie 44 ; tori 47 ; minnie 47 ; missy 48

Of me: Splits: 311,314,310 [936],327,333 [1647],326,319,334,305,320=33:25
The story: The perfect race. Last 2 races against Emily B in the last 6 weeks, knew she was at my level. Made sure I wasn't any faster than her at the start. Hid in back of a huge pack into the wind for the first 3km, race leaders clear ahead all struggling with the wind. First hill (3-4km) pack thins to 10-12. Second hill (4-5km) pack thins to 6, I am chasing them with Emily B. on my shoulder. Third hill (7-8km) I am alone still chasing the pack which is down to 3 with 3 off the back. Long stretch down to the lake into the wind I am flat out into the crosswind trying to hold off Emily B. Last 1.5km straight into the wind we are swapping turns, see the time on the clock, delighted:-) PB on course by 50 seconds.

Comments

GRIFFIN said…
SBx, Great race mate and fantastic time too, especially given the rotten windy conditions.

Had a pretty good run myself in the 5km, but again the wind was a major factor in my time (21.27) on my watch, not sure of the official time though.

Some really fast teens out there, in particular the young girl who I think came second overall.

Had to dash off cos I had left my clothes in my car at the start of the race and I was so cold, not used to these conditions any more.

Anyway, a big well done to all the rest of the gang, some very impressive times ran by them all.

GT
SBx said…
great run gt. That wind was nasty biting and cold
David said…
Wow great running Bruce!

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024