2012 in Review : Sessions vs Kilometres

For me 2012 was an abnormal year. Turning 50 in January was an opportunity to grab a few ACT and one Australian record. I was keenly aware of placing high in the world rankings lists as well.

2012 was the lowest volume year since I started running again in 2007 at an average of 97km per week. Most of the previous weekly averages in that period were around 100km per week. The only month I didn't race was July when I was away in France. Consequently July was my highest monthly average kilometres run per week (118km).

Sessions during 2012 were based more around 5000m and below rather than 10000m and above which statistically are my best events.

However if you look at my results for 2012 the results are among my best since running again despite the low volume...or are they?

December 2011 I averaged 130km per week for the month in anticipation of turning 50 on January 27th. I started my taper on January 28th (131km for that week).

In the 30 days following my birthday I posted 15:55 for 5000m, 33:36 for 10000m, both in still yet warm conditions in the evening. I raced 10 times in the month including Oceania Masters Athletic Championships and the Stromlo Age Sex Adjusted against a hot field.

Roll on to mid-November and the racing started again. Despite relatively low mileage for the year an Australian M50 record in the hour, 15:57 for 5000m, 33:18 for 10000m...both in worse conditions than in February. My fastest two 5000m races in a single year.

My two Half Marathons were done in April 73:28 and September 73:20. I did no specific training for these events. I was recovering from AMA Championships in April and a virus in September.

Conclusion: Inconclusive! The sessions I had done during the year were by far my best and most consistent. The volume of training was patchy due to racing so much. The results at both ends of the year were similar.

Yes I have a better understanding of what sessions make me quick (they are all in the blog) and I can run consistently well on relatively few kilometres per week.

If I combine the work ethic of 2009-10 and add the sessions I did in 2012 the results should be better for all events if I remain injury free. More on that next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024