Important Factor #4 : Structure and sessions

Changing my training structure was by far the biggest change I made as a Masters athlete. The structure is well embedded within this blog so I won't say any more except a reminder. I looked for the best and most current training regime I could find, tested and proven by Olympic Gold Medalists and World Record holders (including Hicham El Guerrouj), transcribed it as best I could and tried to stay as true as I could to the program.

The key reasons for the change were to keep myself motivated year long, to always be at my best for the Australian Masters Athletic Championships and to be versatile enough to do well on track and cross country, not necessarily on the road. Another reason was to allow my aging body to have recovery days, weeks and months built in. I haven't failed to get to the line in good shape yet.

My old structure could best be described as boom and bust (thanks for that line Steve). It was effective at everything from 800m to the marathon. I never achieved anything of note in major events. The good results were infrequent and punctuated by periods of illness and low motivation.

In terms of sessions the biggest change was the use of longer intervals and longer step down intervals. I did use these in 1985 and 1986 when I set my 10km and Half marathon PBs. There were also prime in the Moroccan structure. However I was schooled on 1000m or 3 minute intervals and I now realise that longer pace intervals are better in the longer events as you would expect and include both types and lactate intervals for 5000m and below.

New school periodisation last days before AMA Championships. Taper low mileage with long step down intervals and lactate intervals. Very long intervals and volume done earlier in the program cycle.



Old school training for 10000m PB High Mileage, long intervals, no taper




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024