World Masters Athletics Championships : The Takeaway

Back at home, back to reality in a couple of days. I haven't had to go to work for 7 weeks, the garden's a mess, the dog still loves me, the washing machine is doing a big load of smelly athletics gear, I need more sleep.

The last 7 weeks were almost perfect, like living a dream. The sights, smells, sounds, people, support (both ways), training, racing, results, memories will linger for years to come and most likely never be repeated in the same way.

So what's the takeaway? Going forward it comes down to a couple of conversations with Ben and Paul during last weeks.

I didn't really understand the 5000m in Lyon as there were bits missing from the video Minnie took as she tried to capture me and I was self absorbed just trying to get to the finish line. Ben filled me in, I had another look at the video. The racing experience in the 5000m in Perth was similar so I can add that in as well. It will no doubt re-shape my training moving forward whether I go to another World Championships or not (see you in Malaga).

I got to race both Ben (5000m,10000m) and Paul (cross country,half marathon) twice each during the competition. I had a peak at Paul's training diary had some conversations with him about 'Troopy' and watched him race up close. Different thoughts, similar takeaway.

Of course there were more conversations, races to watch, experience and be inspired by. I'll let it all settle down and reset in a few weeks. Then I'll move forward in a slightly different way.

This Thursday I have a handicap 1500m to race. In a few weeks I have an 800m handicap to race. They are both events in an 800m, 1500m, 3000m series called the 'Pennington' named after a club legend Jack Pennington. Jack died a few weeks ago. He was turning up to 'his' series events as late as March this year. He told me lots of stories too. Some several times the same story. I'll think about Jack before and after I race, try to win that big cup again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024