Australian Cross Country Championships : Masters Invitational 6km : Race Day 2nd 20:51

A smaller field than anticipated with some non-starters. The course not flat, rather lumpy but without any major hills. Uneven surface in parts and some very tight corners. The World Masters XC course in Lyon 2015 is similar. I did do one full 3km lap prior to the start and some strides. My legs were very heavy without easy days prior and three hard sets in the week.

The race was slow from the start. I took the lead at 300m in, gapped the field and hammered it for 2km. After 2.5km M45 Darren caught me. He had a small gap after 3km but really extended it in the second lap. Darren must have run something like 10:08, 10:08 for his splits. Mine were 10:12 and 10:39. That's the story. I started too fast and faded on the second lap.

5 hours of driving all up, a new course to experience, lots of vibe on course...I was home by lunch.

Tomorrow morning ACT Masters XC Handicap 10km at Goorooyaroo. It has very hilly start, undulating out and back, then steep down 1km to finish. I won't have much left in my legs after today. I'll be looking for some easy days this week as Canberra Times 14km Fun Run is on next Sunday. I'll do a 2 day taper late in the week (down from 120km around 100km), similar to what I did at Gold Coast and City2Surf. It doesn't always have me running great, more often than not it's good.

This afternoon and easy recovery run of 11km. 120km last 7 days by tomorrow.

Keith in Bemboka was busy pumping out 6 x Long Intervals, 2 up, 2 down, 2 flat. Pace varied from 3:30s to 3:40s/km. I bet Keith can't wait for October to come around. Form is getting better each week.

Steve is back into it as well. Structured sessions expected to commence this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024