Taper

Except for one last 120km week I've been in taper mode since just before the Oceania Masters in Tauranga. A simple jog today up the mountain and back with Bella. Surprisingly or not the legs feel sensational. Not a niggle. Very light.

Too easy to make a mistake in the last 10 days, I have 4 years experience of taper in this new running life. So many ways to get it right...I have simple rules to follow. Last very hard session 6-7 days before the first race of nationals. Last semi hard session 3-4 days before the first race of nationals. I've used a mix of sessions for that period...both tempo runs and lactate sessions. Both work just as well, lactate sessions are a bigger risk. One thing I do know after looking back through my diary is a 3 lap tempo works really well between the ACTVAC 800/1500m championships and the ACTVAC 5000m championships. So tmoz I'll be looking for a 1200m in about 3:45 to get me a 15:49 on Thursday night.

On Saturday I get to do my last very hard session. That will be 3x800m, 400m, 400m on 50 seconds recovery. Depending on how I recover from that session will decide the final semi hard session...and also my result in the 5000m on Thursday. Until then it all hangs in the air. If I get a great 5000m time I'll be inclined to race 1500m at nationals. That will mean a lactate session on Monday...something like 5 x 300m with 100m jog recovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024