AIS Track : 3000m / 5000m

First meet for 2014 and on the new track. 45 runners and one wheel chair lined up at the start. Steve and KT of 38 in the 3000m, me of 7 in the 5000m. Conditions were as good as they get in January. The only thing to slow me down was lapping the runners and a wheel chair (twice).

Within 150m the race was sorted. I was on the rails alone looking ahead at a pack of 5 running away with it in the 3000m (two would break 9:00), and leading those who may have been able to run 76 second laps consistently. It stayed that way for 2400m with only two by now in tow who would go on to run 9:31-9:32 in the 3000m. I got to sit on them for a lap before they kicked away. My last 5 laps were slow once the track got deserted and cruised home in 16:39 trying to save myself for the half marathon in Bendigo.

Steve set a new PB in the 3000m 10:06 and KT had a great run likewise 11:34.

Of me: Two 5000m runs in a few days and similar times. I'm getting to 3000m on or around 15:50 pace and doing it all myself. I'm still not fresh, motivated or strong enough to finish it off.

The weather forecast looks terribly hot for Bendigo and not sure either me or the car can stomach 14 hours driving with no air-con. I'll decide when I see the forecast this evening and if the bring the start forward on the morning of the race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024