Oceania Masters Athletics Championships : 5000m

Drove 7 hours to Bendigo on Sunday morning, arrived to weather very hot and windy. Bunkered down in hotel. Woke to weather very cold and windy.

I watched the women race early. NZer Anne and SOz Lisa in tow ran together until last lap when Lisa took off. Kathy scratched ill and cold. Caroline Silver.

Next race Vic Charles led start to finish, seemingly unaffected by the wind. ACTVAC Robbie won Gold. Rad also.

Our race. I decided to hell with the wind and started bashing out a series of 76 second laps working triple hard down the home straight. I survived 6 times into the wind (Splits: 1km 311, 2km 620) and cracked on the 7th losing 2-3 seconds into an absolute gale but still on 930s pace for 3km. Past the winning post and I waited for the lap split of someone behind me? (was 5 seconds previous lap, now down to 2). I had a peek back on the next bend, yep local M50 Mike had been chasing me hard for almost 3km. I gave up thoughts of a time, slowed, moved into lane 1, allowed him to pass on inside (he would have caught me anyway) and took a breather with 5 laps to go. The pace slowed some-what as he no longer as to chase me, nor I try to run away. On the bell the pace quickened and surprisingly I started to feel good again. We hammered it out over the last 90 metres to finish in 16:44-16:45. Keith finished 2nd M55 in 17:57. Colin 4th.

I was back in the car shortly after the presentation, another 7 hours in the car. A slow 3km jog to loosen up.

Having not fully extended myself today I expect to race on Thursday evening in Canberra, another 5000m.







































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024