Chalons en Champagne : Recovery Runs

Region Champagne is one of the remaining areas we have made the visit every year since 2008. Whether it is Reims, Epernay or Chalons en Champagne it is always a pleasure to visit. Each has its own flavour.

The hotel in which we are staying was formerly an Etap Hotel of the Accor chain. My heart was a little sad when it disappeared off google maps for a period. It is now part of the B&B chain and remains basically the same. The view out the chambre window is a Decathlon store. Virtually every Etap or Ibis Budget has a Decathlon store near by as they share a common location factor. On the outskirts of town, near a motorway off/on ramp (cheap land, easy access).



Today the recovery run was from the hotel wandering near ground...in fact I was completely lost. I found the Tour de France route (yellow arrows) and followed it until I was in the wheat fields. I guessed my way back along new roads which opened up new possibilities for future visits.

Post run we wandered into town to watch the TDF caravan pass. We returned with many photo memories and loads of goodies again. More Haribo lollies, more Belin savoury snacks, more St Michel madeleines, more washing powder.

In particular I wanted to visit a photo I took in 2011...it wasn't quite the same today but happy to understand it better [image from 2011].


As I type the tour is on tv...56km to go. Tomorrow we are off to Gerardmer.

I made the visit to Gerardmer on my first European trip in 1986...an orienteering tour. We did a final race of the French 6 Day Orienteering Championships and the final kilometre of the final race was on road to the lovely lake. The following year Gerardmer hosted the World Orienteering Championships.

For me the orienteering championships were a success in my first races. After a disastrous first few races (I blamed the maps which were terrible) I lifted my game. On stage 4 I had a near perfect run (one 15 second mistake down a track briefly which unmapped) and placed 2nd in my age group on day, losing by 13 seconds. My remaining two races were also good but not as good

Tomorrow in Gerardmer. Maybe Claude and Virginie our French friends will be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024