Gold Coast Half Marathon

1st M50, 73:51 and one second quicker than last year:-) Very funny. Minnie finished in good shape as well, we are at the airport and on our way to Paris in a few hours.

The race: I looked at my toenails when I was cutting them on Thursday before I came and decided then to wear my faithful training shoes in the race rather than the speedy racers I have done most of my marathon/half marathon in. I couldn't face another lost 3 toenails after almost growing them back from the Paris Marathon in April. That's really the only difference. I haven't checked the splits but they will be similar to last year. 2km 6:33 (slightly too quick but sitting on the back of a huge bunch). I relaxed and let them go after seeing that number, waited for the next sizeable bunch to come through. 10km 34:17 and still relaxed, just sitting in. On the next drink station I slowed to have a gel and water, lost the bunch and was on my own. I was still running strong and they were still only 30-40 seconds ahead at the finish. 14km in 48:36. A couple of slower starters picked me off on the way home. I picked off a couple of faders for no net loss. I looked at the watch with 1.1km to go, estimated I would do around the same as last year...and so it was.

I still have seven toenails. Two from before, two from after shots 3 months apart.

Comments

David said…
Fantastic running and such consistency. Nearly choked on my cornflakes when I saw those photos though!
Enjoy France, I so envy your yearly pilgrimage.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024