ACT Masters 8.3km XC Championships 3:34/km ; Steve 5km 18:33 ; Keith 7km

ACT Masters 8.3km XC held in conjunction with the Open age and junior athletes. Weather partly cloudy, cool to warm to hot, light winds increasing to moderate with strong gusts through the day. ACT Open 10km race held at 9am, ACT Masters held between 11:30am and 2pm, two races. My race started at 1:15pm.

Steve in the morning ran 5km on a local Parkrun course in 18:33. Keith ran 7km after an easy week.

I spent my run chasing three under 20 year old males. The course included the steep hill extension twice which made the distance longer than 8km and very tough. At the bottom of the course I was swooped repeatedly by the resident magpie. Having previously lost much blood to this family of birds I was waving arms above my head frantically while trying to run fast. As far as I know I was the only runner swooped. I was a long way ahead of the next place behind me. As a lumpy course, exposed to strong winds from the north, the splits vary, the last two laps of 2.5km included that big hill. Splits (500m): 3:06/km,3:17/km,3:25/km,3:15/km,3:31/km,3:32/km,3:52/km,3:33/km,3:22/km,3:51/km,3:51/km,3:49/km,3:45/km,3:23/km,3:44/km,3:47/km,3:26/km=3:34/km average. Split through 8km=28:30. I was happy with the speed and flow through the course with my heart rate climbing quickly to 163bpm and flat lining at that level from there on. Results below.

Comments

Ewen said…
Well done Bruce and good photos. No magpie swoops for me, must have it in for you! How were the new spikes?
Ta Ewen, glad you got through safe. Spikes good, will be better on a track.

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024