Altitude Training and Performance Col du Galibier and Col du Lautaret

After a gripping race in Tour de France yesterday including Col du Galibier at 2642m asl the race goes over the same summit again, this time from Col du Lautaret, finishing up Alpe d'Huez. Having run up Galibier from both sides I can recount my performance boost experience that lasted for two weeks or more. The training: I ran seven times in four days from my car camps near Col du Lautaret and on the other side of Galibier (the Valloire side). The stay coincided with Tour de France in 2017. Some runs were just local explores on trails. The two runs up Galibier in both directions were at my threshold, not as a time trial. Runs down were jogging.

The diary entries: 16th July 2017 Bourg d'Oisans 42 minutes bike path run.
17th July 2017 Bourg d'Oisans run 61 minutes including 6*600m bike path efforts (2:08,2:06,1:59,2:01,1:58,1:55);Col du Lautaret trail run 26 minutes.
18th July 2017 Col du Lautaret to Col du Galibier summit and return 43 minutes up, 32 minutes down. PM trail run (Valloire side) 20 minutes
19th July 2017 Col du Galibier ascent from Valloire side 49 minutes up, 42 minutes down, PM trail run in Valloire 2km.
I felt incredibly strong running for the next two weeks. On 1st August I ran on the XC circuits at Stromlo over 2000m including all the hills in a PB 6:25. My subsequent runs over the same course 4 and 7 days later were 6:29 and 6:37. I've experienced the same boost after extended stays at Col du Tourmalet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024