Track Racing Period 1: January 27th - March 24th 2022 Update

I've now completed my 40th week of base training with 131km run in the last 7 days. I completed my first track race over 1500m (time trial, I was on my own lapping runners) and I was as fast as I ran in my last Australian Masters Championships in 2019 as a young M55. I missed out on breaking my first track record on Thursday (my birthday) by 1.1 second. Not unexpected I was a bit rusty. Parkrun went well on Saturday under testing conditions. The 1500m run added some fluency to the Parkrun. I felt great until we lost the slight cooling headwind at the turn. I set a new age record for the course as a 60 year old racing a 20s yo and 30s yo and very close to my own age graded record. What's missing is some race specific track sessions at 3:10/km and better all the way down to 300m and 200m repetitions. I won't leave my base training until I taper 10 days before for Australian Masters Athletics Championships in Brisbane commencing on April 1st. I'll be selective with my track races in coming weeks, aiming to race on the 10th February (3000m/5000m), 3rd March (10000m) and 24th March (5000m) on track plus a 1500m. Parkrun events will keep me in shape throughout. It is a La NiƱa summer which means wet, humid and relatively mild temperatures. It is raining with thunder now, always best to get the running done in the morning. Ultimate goal in coming months is Australian Masters Athletics Championships commencing April 1st. Draft program: April 1st 5000m ; April 2nd 8000m XC ; April 3rd 1500m ; April 4th 10000m track.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024