World Masters Athletics Championships Lyon : 8km Cross Country Preview

The cross country course is 2.5km from the hotel. It is shaded in parts (pines) and exposed at start and finish. Today the weather was very warm. It's much cooler in the shade. There will be drinks on each of the four laps. The leaders will be passing slower runners on lap two.

I ran 3/4 of a 1600m approx loop of the course today (Monday), that was enough for me to see. Many others were running fast and multiple laps. It's almost exactly how I imagined it a few months ago with a couple of additions. The course is super technical and super easy in different parts. Start, finish and one long section flat and fast. Middle of each loop is rough, twisting with small hills and long grass...it's bone dry. I'm not going to say yet how to run this course, I'll have something to say about it tomorrow. I love it, suits me. Since they are covering road base with eucalypt mulch I'll be wearing spikes. I am hopeful it doesn't finish on the bitumen but will reassess after I watch the first race. Some photos from today and some of my previous research. Part of where I drew in the course on satellite images is wrong...it's a U shape (three straights each with left 90 degree turn) and is the fastest section of the course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024