World Masters Athletics Championships Lyon : M50 5000m

Everything that was said in the previous post holds true. Race split up on the very first lap and I almost missed it due to a couple of slow runners and a big start list. Michael did miss it and spent a long time catching up, an enormous effort solo.In a big way Michael made the race for places 3-?, injected some pace when others were tired. Windy in the back straight, it was like running two different races each lap. I put water on the head every lap from about 4km on. I think the pictures tell the story. Everyone who tried their chances into the wind were punished except the winner...and he thought long and hard about it a couple of times, far too good.

Of me: Like Anders and Michael that's my third race of the meet. I knew I was going to have a good one but had to concentrate every single lap like my life depended on it. There were times I had to cross gaps very hard. There were times when I had to do it all myself. There were times when all I could do is just hang on. Mostly I had to stay patient when I wasn't going well which allowed me to claw my way back up to 4th place Guy with 3.5 laps to go and finish it off in a good way. 5th place in that field, very happy.

It's been a learning experience for me watching some great runners up close (both male and female and in all ages). I will look forward to Perth WMA 2016 and beyond.

Comments

David said…
Superb! congratulations
David said…
Superb! congratulations
ta David, see you in Perth or sooner

Popular posts from this blog

Long Intervals

Surf Beach Tempo Run 14km ; Training Plan, Racing Update Australian Masters Athletics Championships 2024